For all my new friends who have recently started following this blog.....please start at the very beginning.....it is a good place to start to get the full impact of this fascinating tale.

Friday 13 April 2012

Time to Think


The best stress buster in the world
Sud's remark " Give me some time to think" really rankled, but I could not question him since I had been eavesdropping and did not want to give the impression of being a snoop. We parted that evening with a hug and  kiss and then there was no further news from him.
I asked Jerry to find out what was happening and he reported that my man had suddenly left on leave. I was extremely disquieted and  took it as an ill omen, presuming he had chickened out of the relationship after being spoken to very firmly by my father.
The next three weeks went by in snapping tension where everything was getting on my nerves and I was irritating everybody with my cranking and crabbing. There was absolutely no news from Sud and with each day that passed I was convinced that the outcome would not be positive. Jerry was a constant source of encouragement when I was feeling down but even his positivity did nothing to allay my fears.
And then one evening he marched into my room with a big grin and informed me that my darling was back. Apparently they had a long chat and  good news was on the way but Sud had sworn Jerry to secrecy so he could say no more. I exploded with a hundred questions and under the onslaught my friend buckled and gleefully told me I could expect a proposal by the weekend! I was reeling with shock and delight and could barely believe what I was hearing after the last few stressful weeks.
Sure enough, Sud drove up on his bike to be met with an innocent face, since I was not supposed to know anything. He spoke to my parents first and requested my hand in marriage and then in a very gentlemanly manner asked if I would be his wife. I was so tempted to say "I need some time to think" but bit back any over smart remarks that bubbled in my brain.
When I questioned him about his sudden disappearance, he said he had wanted to tell his parents about his decision before making things official. They had given their blessings without any qualms which was a relief to me, since my family was rather different and his definitely more conventional. I never told him I was a tad resentful that Jerry knew he wanted to marry me before I did, but then willingly forgave all his minor trespasses once I understood his reasons.
I was deliriously happy and at the same time terrified of all that the marriage game would bring. I had never been keen on marrying into the forces with its nomadic lifestyle, but if that was to be my lot then so be it.
After further discussion it was decided that we would travel to Delhi in October to meet Sud's parents and get formally engaged and the wedding date was set for the 17th December.

Now is the time to reread and understand why I had written the poem 'Farewell' at this point of my life http://solitaryw.blogspot.in/2011/09/taking-break.html

No comments:

Post a Comment