For all my new friends who have recently started following this blog.....please start at the very beginning.....it is a good place to start to get the full impact of this fascinating tale.

Thursday 26 April 2012

Engaged


While in Delhi we stayed in the beautiful home of Shelley and Bunny Majithia, who at the time lived in Maharani Bagh. The first thing Shelley did was to whisk me away for sari shopping because off course that was what I was supposed to wear on this auspicious occasion. A beautiful Tanchoi was what I chose and her tailor zipped up the blouse in a couple of hours. I had never worn this complicated garment before so had to be wrapped and firmly pinned up to avoid any possibility of a mishap.
Mother-in-law and sister-in-law
Father-in-law with Surjit and Sati Majithia
I was ready and waiting long before time and eventually the few family members we had invited began to trickle in. Drinks and snacks did the rounds but there was no sign of the Suds. I tried to call but their phone appeared to be dead, so I bravely smiled and took all the jibes that were being made about how maybe my man had changed his mind at the last minute! An hour later when there was still no sign of anyone I really began to panic but the mask was in place while my heart thundered with embarrassment.
The relatives were actually thinking of leaving when we heard a car pull up with the tardy family. I was fuming but greatly relieved to see all of them. Apparently Sud had high fever and they thought they should let him sleep it off! I bit back all caustic comments that seem to come so easily to my tongue and in a more relaxed frame of mind got on with the rest of the evening.
Sud gave me an engagement ring which I had chosen myself after asking him what the budget was and I put a gold chain around his neck as he refused to wear a ring. With the official exchange done we had a few drinks followed by dinner after which the Suds departed and the realisation hit me that I was now an officially affianced woman!
Manju Majithia,Simret Badal nee Majithia, Mira Akoi nee Majithia and Snoopy
Mum and Dad with Jerry and Kamini

3 comments:

  1. Eva we had heard these stories frm u but to actually see them thru the pictures is amazing . Do u still have that tanchoi Saree? It looked beautiful . Wud love to hack it away frm u .

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were looking resplendent in that saree! Wow! I still have the Kanjeevaram you gave me. It's a pleasure to watch Sanam in one and she wears it with such ease!

    ReplyDelete