For all my new friends who have recently started following this blog.....please start at the very beginning.....it is a good place to start to get the full impact of this fascinating tale.

Saturday 27 August 2011

Victor and Nina

Victor,Nina,Anna and Safdar
Most will recall Victor Egan (my father) as Amrita Shergil's husband. Though volumes were written about her controversial and colorful life no one was particularly interested in him as a person. After she died life went on for him as a village doctor in Saraya and the Majithia's became his friends and family.
He devoted his entire life to the backward people of this area and was revered almost as a god-like figure by the illiterate and superstitious. This worship led to many strange, bizarre and hilarious situations which were sometimes quite unbelievable. He had the most phenomenal sense of humour and believed that if one could see the funny side of a situation one would survive anything. He had a deep compassion for animals and our house was a veritable menagerie most of the time. One of his favourite quotes was "The more I know man the more I Love my dogs".
Victor first met Nina Hydrie (my mother) when she was six years old. He was extremely fond of her parents Ghulam Safdar Khan  and Anna who were living in Lucknow at that time. He was a very eligible bachelor and would drop by to visit on his way to and from Nainital, always with a different young lady on his arm!
Safdar and Anna eventually divorced though always remained the best of friends and Nina grew into one of Lucknow's legendary beauties.
When she was twenty one Nina met Victor in NainiTal after a gap of a few years and fell completely in love with him.She did the proposing and he the discouraging of what he believed was young infatuation. He told her they would wait a year and if feelings were still the same would think about the future.He returned to Saraya and she to Lucknow but six months later decided not to wait any longer and were married in 1954.
The event sent shock waves through Lucknow society. The gossip mongers had thought he was pursuing Anna (her mother), who was two years older to him and when he announced he was marrying Nina, who was twenty three years younger, predictions for the union were full of doom and disaster. They were married for forty three years until the time of his death in 1997 and it was one of the best partnerships I have known.
One of the conditions Victor put down for the marriage was that there would be no children. The age gap was so large and he thought if something were to happen to him he did not want Nina to be bringing up children alone. I was a mistake made in 1959, a fact I was reminded of once in a while, and since the rules had been broken my sister Juliet came along in 1964.

11 comments:

  1. Sniff, sniff! Since I have met the legendary beauty in person and her two beautiful daughters, (the elder one having a very special spot in my heart right beside my family...), I can vouch, that Victor Egan and Nina's marriage is one of the most successful I have known too! I love the kind of brave parents they have been, my Ma is telling me to write that Eva!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! This was very insightful!!
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eva, I recall very vividly one summer holiday when your parents took me and my sister Marie out for a day. Your mum kept us entertained with ghost stories of Nainital, introduced us to exciting parlor games in Rockhouse while it rained outside, treated us to horse rides around the lake and shared her perspective of how one can judge a person by the state of their footwear! I still have her recipe of lemon curd.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome read...I spent my first 5 years in Saraya and my screen memory is strong enough to retain the glimpses of the great Dr Egan..may God rest his soul in peace..I was actually searching for the Doc on Google and came across this blog...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi I am a writer and historian based in London writing on the Majithia Sardars, can the family of Eva or Juliet assist in my chapter for the revised version of the Punjab Chiefs help in any way? If so, please contact me on bsingh1799@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happened to come across this blog. knew dr egan a thorough gentleman and nina egan a gracious lady and also often visited them at their house in sardarnagar inyear1976-77 when i was posted there. they were also the landlords of our customs dept. office at Betia hata gorukpur.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mother told me that I was delivered by Dr Egan in Sardarnagar. My grandfather was the chief Chemist there in the Sugar mill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you were... i followed just 3 years later.

      Delete
  8. Yes you were... i followed just 3 years later 🙋

    ReplyDelete
  9. I met Nina saheba very briefly in Kanpur,...a friendly and gracious lady.. Ayesha Padmini Mathur

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mom Hazel was a close friend of Nina Hydrie and would always speak about her with affection. I remember meeting her and you when u visited us in Delhi aeons ago.

    ReplyDelete