For all my new friends who have recently started following this blog.....please start at the very beginning.....it is a good place to start to get the full impact of this fascinating tale.

Friday 26 August 2011

Through Sick and Sin?

My darling and me  Through Sick and Sin
My father was an extremely practical person with thought processes much too revolutionary for his time. Like everything else his views on the institution of marriage were also quite cynical. He was of the firm opinion that it was the most unnatural thing for two completely different people to live together for the rest of their lives in peace and harmony. He likened marriage to cogs in a wheel grinding together. For them to move in synchronisation it would take a a lot of wear and tear to eventually mesh together smoothly.
When I chose to marry a fighter pilot in the Indian Air Force he was not too happy. He was of the firm opinion that fighter pilots were womanisers who drank too much, had no money and eventually would die in a plane crash!
Just before the wedding he called me for a heart to heart and this is exactly what he said:-
" Darling, whatever happens, remember marriage is through sick and sin. Only the first twenty five years are difficult. If you can survive that it will be smooth sailing"!
The Hungarian language has no "th" sound in it and as he never lost his accent he would substitute the "th" inflection with "zuh" or "suh". What he was saying was marriage was through thick and thin but I always look back at the phrase he used as being so much more apt for the whole marriage game!

4 comments:

  1. Quite an innovative phrase, Eva Bhabhi. Well you have completed 25 years now, haven't you. Suggest you write a book with this name, it surely should do well.
    Ajay

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am enjoying reading this as I can picture in my head when you had narrated this in person to me in Bhatinda!Keep going Eva! This is such a treat! Love you more than I can ever tell you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey 25 years over dear, so smooth sailing begins. Congrats, way to go my dear....

    ReplyDelete
  4. How apt. ..

    ReplyDelete