For all my new friends who have recently started following this blog.....please start at the very beginning.....it is a good place to start to get the full impact of this fascinating tale.

Sunday 13 November 2011

Ramnee


When I was growing up there were no good educational institutions around Saraya, so at the age of six I was sent off to St Mary's Convent in Nainital. 
Nainital was a hill station known for its elite boarding schools like Sherwood, St Joseph's, All Saint's and off course St Mary's, which in the latter half of the 19th century catered only to the children of British colonial officials or soldiers. In the 1920s and 30s, they began to admit more Indian students and by the time I joined we had girls who were predominantly Indian but also came from Nepal, Bhutan, Kuwait, Kenya, Nigeria and England .
St. Mary's was founded by Mother Mary Ward in the 17th century.The sisters of this congregation originally started working in Patna in 1853. The then superior, Mother Salesia Reiner, planned a foundation in Nainital to help the sisters whose health had suffered in the heat of the plains. She realized the necessity of buying an estate where a convent and school could be built, so approached Sir Henry Ramsay, the commissioner of Kumaon, who owned a large property called Ramsay Park. He agreed to the sale and in 1879 the sisters moved into the newly acquired estate. The name Ramnee is a corruption of Ramsay, as the servants working on the estate, unable to pronounce the name correctly, called Sir Ramsay, 'Ramnee Sahib'.
St Mary's was a beautiful school situated on the undulating slopes of a twenty six acre hillside amidst pine and fir trees.The first glimpse that one got of the sprawling complex were thick masses of lilac and pink Hydrangea bushes that lined the path leading up to the chapel and main office buildings The imposing edifices had old stone facades with lofty roofs and spires, some painted blue and others red.

The Chapel
The school chapel was an elegant structure, where for a few years I was motivated to pray, until the rigidity of the Catholic faith  made me ask too many questions. These were were not well received by the strict German nuns, who made sure I completely lost my faith. The rituals in those days were all conducted in Latin, and the beauty and awe of the ceremonies were amazingly soul stirring.The handsome Father Sebastian, with his one cauliflower ear, who would come down from St Joseph's  to conduct mass was quite a stirring sight as well! 
The dormitories were made up of rows upon rows of neatly made beds. We would wake every morning at five thirty and wash our faces in basins of freezing cold water which we had filled up the night before.In the months of November and December we would sometimes even have to break through a thin film of ice. Strangely enough, till today I am only comfortable when I wash my face with cold liquid! Baths were bi-weekly affairs - one 'body bath' and one 'head bath'. When it was really chilli, girls were known to slosh soapy water down the drain and not have a bath at all!
The refectory seated all one hundred and fifty of us boarders. The food we ate for nine months of the year was quite pathetic, but as we were always hungry nobody really objected. On special occasions we were served chicken curry, which we called 'crow curry' because of the scrawny servings of meat. We were allowed to get food parcels from home once in a while, and that was when "tuck friends" made themselves known. They were the ones who were only friendly with you as long as the home made goodies lasted and then wandered off to scrounge off someone else who had got an exciting package.
Beside all the usual classes we were also taught piano and needle work. Music was an optional subject and one my parents insisted I learn. Music pupils, as we were called, had to appear for the Trinity College exams once a year. I personally hated them because of the levels of perfection we were expected to perform at. I have been rapped on the knuckles, shaken like a rag doll and even once pushed off the stool by Sister Cecelia who impatiently groomed us to face the severe examiner from London. Needle work was another pain as I was clumsy and not particularly interested and was shrieked at on numerous occasion by Sister Lucy. "You naughty little scrap" was what she called us incompetent ones. Every October there would be an exhibition of the art and embroidery made during the year. It was shameful to have one's work put in the 'lazy corner', but thats exactly where most of my talent ended up being displayed!
Mary Ward Hall

The infirmary was a place I did not spend too much time in. Once every few months we were all given a shot of foul tasting, slimy Castor oil to clean out our systems and this ritual was called getting a 'dose'. We would then be seen clutching rolls of toilet paper. galloping up and down between classrooms and 'bogs' with severe 'loosies'.
The games fields were venues of much excitement where we practiced for hours for the annual Sports Day held in May, followed by ten days of summer holidays. The highlight of this event would be the Inter School Relay where we raced with the girls from All Saint's. Much to our envy they wore the shortest of shorts for the race, while we flapped along in our knee length skirts. I was a star runner and athlete for many years until Lily Rana joined school - she was someone I could never beat!
The Nun's Graveyard
We would be taken for an outing every Saturday and this was quite an exciting event. Skirts would be rolled up to make them shorter and hair would be styled with an extra clip.We would have to walk in threes, holding hands all the way, and were known as the Ramnee 'caterpillar' by the boys who were lurking around to catch a glimpse of us.
 Daily routine was rigorous and our lives were ruled by bells. A bell to wake us up in the morning, and a bell to summon us for meals. A bell to call us to class and another to announce the end of a period. A bell for play time and then again for bed time. The nun who was in charge of the dormitory often thumped us on the head with a hand bell when we were not ready in time!
 Unlike my peers, I was never particularly happy in boarding - not unhappy either, but just resigned that it was where I had to be at that point of my life. Being rebellious by nature, and never taking kindly to authority I  got into plenty of trouble and ended up badly but that is a story for another blog.


21 comments:

  1. Hi Eva,

    You have revived the Ramnee memories. They were happy ones for me. Chetna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankfully, I never had to go to a boarding school but somehow I can very well relate to yours from the stories of my friends who had ever studied in a boarding school in a hill station. I think much must have changed by now but I don't know if they are for the better. Nice insight into the bit of history concerning Ramnee Sahib...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eva, your delightful evocative style brings back my 7 years at Ramnee, as if it were only yesterday. I found myself giggling over our escapades. I think I was part of your midnight feasts too. I recall the ecstasy of malt after lunch, the homely coziness of the infirmary and how we used to die to get sick enough to warrant a stay there. You remember the well made beds in our dorms? Well I have been back a couple of times to show off Ramnee to my kids and sadly a lot has changed. The old plastic basins have gone, running warm water replaces the icy water we were used to. Funny, even I can't bear to use warm water on my face in winter. The school issue pale blue counterpanes have been replaced with ugly cheap multicoloured ones and hospital corners are unheard of, one sees an expanse of lumpy beds. More later! Louise

    ReplyDelete
  4. I passed out of Ramnee in 2009. It was lovely knowing your memories. some things never do change. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey so can u help me get some more knowledge about dis boarding scul...
      Actually my gf joined dis scul last months..
      N frm ur profile picture it seems like u r young n perfect to understand my love story..
      Pls help me

      Delete
  5. Vinumrita B Kumar30 March 2013 at 19:55

    Hi Mam,
    It was wonderful reading your blog....you conjured up some beautiful memories which we love to live and relive:) I went to Ramnee for 13 years:) No I did not repeat any class:) I was there from Prep till 12th --Batch of 1995...I am settled in NY now and we have a big Ramnee and Sem group here...(Of course brother sister School ...gave us a lot of couples as well:)
    We can talk about School and School days endlessly and relive the same memories again and again...I guess the friends that you make in school are for a lifetime...would love to follow your blog... will definitely start reading from the beginning....looking forward to many more adventures with you:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a batch of 2011 :) Things have changed a lot since your time. We never had townwalks every Saturday. It was dying :P We used to long for it. The kids who never went home for the short holidays got one walk. I still remember running around the town, rushing to the cyber cafe, eating the pastry from sakleys, bhutia market & checking out watches a hundred times so we are not late to go back to school. And yes, the bells!! Can't ever forget them. I was the HeadGirl of our batch. How girls hated me when i would wake them up every morning with my shouting " Girls get up!!!".. Haha :D I never hated the food of Ramnee though. They werent all that perfect but i enjoyed eating them. Music classes were only for the Catholic students since we were the voices of the Sunday mass. Sr.Kanula would make us sing till we were perfect. I guess perfection lives inside the sisters :) I miss my school days. I miss my batch of girls & all my close ones of Ramnee. Thinking of the times I was inside Sr. Elsy's office for the shoutings, I cannot stop smiling :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow!memories just came gushing back❤miss the good old days.and the town outings though😆

      Delete
  7. i really miss ramnee.......

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved reading your description of Ramnee - spot on! Your "crow curry" brought to mind our "shit curry" (Indian kadhi minus any pakoras or vegetables)!! I graduated in 1975. Yes, Sister Cecelia, Sister Lucy, Sister Josephine, Sister Mary Jospeph, Sister Magdalene - remember them all fondly - probably all dead by now. They were good people. I loved my 7 years there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi I also graduated 1975. My pathetic attempts at needlework and piano did not endear me to Sister Lucy and Sister Cecilia. I remember the walks to town and Government Grounds. I remember the music playing on a record player on weekends .Was in third grade when the skating rink was made. Loved skating

      Delete
  9. Really enjoyed reading about Ramnee as I spent many years here too

    ReplyDelete
  10. the time i spent in Ramnee, was the best time of my life.From ramnee cutlets to early morning masses..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ditto...this Is is almost me except for the music classes... Passed out in 1988 ( class x) and went to mgd Jaipur as I could not take the cold. This could have been written by me. Even then would like to connect with fellow ramneeians and batch mates
    Based out of New Delhi

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ramnee: I breathe and talk of it all the time aged 5 (1956). Yes, we had Sister Yuta (kindies), Sisters Cecelia, Josephine, Lucy and Beata: Thank You you taught me so much. My bed is made to perfection every day. I loved art/oilpainting so I had the pleasure of having Sister Geraldine: My children hang two of my paintings done in year 7 with her help (1972). I still eat lentils every other day as does my sister. I grow hydrangeas, Salvia (blue), pansies, and Easter lilies all a part of the Ramnee nostalgia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow I also was there in 1956 in Class 1... And I also learnt oil painting from Sister Geraldine and still have paintings of mine .
      I spent so many years here till class eleven

      Delete
  13. Good old days I would say the years spent in rammed. I remember the rammed cutlets, the walk in around the refractory in the cold breeze , the structure study hours, Jo's calling us girls having rubber necks, learning a paragraph by heart as a punishment, eating nutrinuggets forced by sister cristine, music played on Saturday night outside our cubicles, the fun fair every12the of Aug, going to Sherwood to watch the torch PT. I can go on n on. Besides learning my lessons n English culture I earned good set of friends .my school has made a difference

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is so good to read about your school.. Where you lived day and night. Laughing and crying together with your friends.. Thanks a lot for this post... I regularly dream about my School. RAMNEE :) Passed out in 2012 and yes in my time the food was amazing except for the boiled cauliflower.. Haha.. I miss Ramnee

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Studied there from prep till eighth so u can say ,was literally groomed at this school ,was a day-care though .But still love the place to death n Yes I aced the needlework n singing����

    ReplyDelete
  17. The school and the sisters were always an integral part of my life and in some way am still so connected..Have friends who also have an objective view about the school years but for me it is all heart..a beautiful childhood gifted to me by my parents with the most blessed souls like Sr Seraphica n Mother Margaret..))

    ReplyDelete